Friday, October 9, 2009

2nd runner-up of Ms Singapore World pageant chosen as new winner


2nd runner-up of Ms Singapore World pageant chosen as new winner
By Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: The Miss Singapore World pageant has a new winner. 20-year-old Pilar Arlando will be going to South Africa on December 12 for a shot at the Miss World title.

The Travel, Tourism and Hospitality student at Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS) was selected as Miss Singapore World after the previous winner Ris Low gave up her crown amid a firestorm of controversy.

Pilar was third in the contest.

She said: "I'm sure that they saw my capabilities as a main title-holder, so I believe I don't see myself as a replacement. I know the bad press was centred on Ris Low about her English but it does not affect me because I'm confident in the words that I say and how I speak."

In a statement, organisers ERM World said Claire Lee, who came in second, was not chosen because of her back injury which meant she could not stand for long hours.

And contest rules do not require them to select the first runner-up as a replacement.

The new beauty queen said she's just a regular girl.

She said: "I do not have any convictions or criminal records I enjoy travelling, baking and participating in various sports activities. I'm a good girl." - CNA/vm

No comments:

Post a Comment